Unlike an ICE, a more powerful electric drivetrain uses _less_ energy under normal driving than a marginal HP drivetrain.

A large inverter and motor run more efficiently at low power because they have larger conductors and less internal resistance than a smaller inverter and motor. Driven side by side, a very powerful EV will be far more energy efficient (Watts per mile) than a marginally powered EV. Quite the opposite of what you might expect.

A gasoline engine is most efficient at near full throttle, and least efficient at small throttle settings. Basically, when you throttle a spark-ignition engine, you do so by restricting its intake, which reduces the combustion pressure (and density). You are essentially throttling the engine by reducing its efficiency. Thus, a gasoline engine car would prefer to have its engine run at near full throttle, which means that from an efficiency viewpoint, you want a tiny engine that is just barely enough to propel it down the road.

I might add, that a diesel engine does not throttle by restricting its intake. Its fuel efficiency is _not_ effected by engine size or by the throttle setting. (Engine RPM is what dictates Diesel efficiency.) This is why you rarely see diesel hybrids. They don't add much efficiency, other than to capture the braking energy (regen.)  On the highway, they get the same mileage as non-hybrids. (This is also why manual transmissions in diesel trucks have so may gears.)

Bill D.