On Mon, 2016-10-24 at 12:43 +0100, James Freer wrote:
> using linux xubuntu 16.04

This is not helpful - please provide the version of EVOLUTION for
discussions.  Help -> About.

Distributions are far less important than many people seem to believe.

> - can I set the mailbox to ascending order rather than descending

In regards to what?  Clicking on a header will reverse the sort order.

> - using imap. Which directory is mail and settings stored in on the
> PC as I would prefer to do manual backups. Not sure what others do
> but when one installs the next xubuntu update I want to be able to
> copy the directory to remote hard drive and copy it back once new
> install is set up.

Local backups of an IMAP account don't make much sense - what Evolution
downloads is nothing more than a [potentially very] incomplete cache.

There is a backup/restore feature built into Evolution - File: backup /
restore.  Use that.  Where Evolution does / does-not store information
is not something a user should need to know and may change between
versions.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awill...@whitemice.org> GPG D95ED383
OpenGroupware Developer <http://www.opengroupware.us/>