On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Daniel Axtell wrote:

> XFree86 runs OK, but when I
> reboot I frequently get a black screen.  When I unplug the monitor for a few
> seconds and get a "no signal" message, then plug it in, everything is OK.
> I noticed a similar behavior on a different box when I was installing Win98
> when booting from a floppy disk.  After it was installed, Win98 and the
> monitor seem OK on that box.

I see this sometimes, too (Abit AT7/MAX2, Gainward GeForce4 w/ TI4800,
Dual Iiyama-TFT;  from time to time, the second one stays black).
If I understand it correctly, it's a problem with the
_graphics card_/mainboard (power consumption "peak", therefore no proper
initialisation takes place);  when you repeat the initialisation process,
either by un-/re-plugging the monitor or invoking a graphics driver
(->Windows/XFree startup), chances are that no peak is
"triggered". (Note that during a reboot, many devices are reset at once;
if your BIOS does allow it, you may try -- at your own risk! -- to adjust
voltages) ...

HTH,
--
Dipl.-Inf. Markus Ueberall           Johann Wolfgang Goethe-Universität
Tel: (069)798-28361  Fax: -23340    Institut für Informatik / Telematik