Eduardo,

Did you read this?
"Enhanced caching controller systems disable on-disk cache and provide a functional battery-backed caching solution."

The idea of this article that battery-backed cache solutions should be used, instead of drives with simple cache. It does not tell that cache is bad, just highlights the potential risk of data loss if caching without BBU is used.

So, essentially you need to buy advanced disk controller and properly setup it - that's true.

Regards,
Alexey Kovyazin
IBSurgeon

There is an interesting (and quite long) article about SQL Server and disk cache in MS site.

They talk about "enhanced caching controllers" and they say things like the following:

  * /- SQL Server installations are targeted at systems that provide
    caching controllers. These controllers disable the on-disk caches
    and provide stable media caches to satisfy SQL Server I/O
    requirements./
  * /- Your SQL Server installation depends on the controller's
    ability to disable the on-disk cache and to provide a stable I/O
    cache./
  * /- Note: If you have any question about the caching status of your
    disk drive, contact the manufacturer and obtain the appropriate
    utility or jumper settings to disable write caching operations./

You even can see a list of different HD drive types (IDE, ATA, SATA, SCSI) with instructions to disable disk cache. In any of them you will see the following phrase:

  * /- Disk caching should be disabled in order to use the drive with
    SQL Server./