Sean,

thanks for the response. Answers below.

On 26.02.2017 23:52, 'Leyne, Sean' s...@broadviewsoftware.com
[firebird-support] wrote:

> Andreas,
>
> > - increase page size to 16kB (gbak -> and restore with new pagesize)
> > - increased buffers for firebird to use up to 4GB of ram (256kB) via
> gfix
>
> With Classic server you *need* to reduce the number of cached pages --
> I would recommend a value < 500 pages
>
> people keep telling me otherwise. Why would I not want firebird to
> fill up the cache with lots of pages? Am I misunderstanding firebirds
> buffer concept?
>
> <SL> There are 3 different ‘modes’ that Firebird can run in.
>

> <SL> “Classic” mode is for a large number of connections.  For that
> mode, the number of pages needs to be reduced.
>

> <SL> For “SuperServer” and “SuperClassic” modes the number of pages
> can be maximized.

Alright. I am well aware of that. Each process has its own cache,
inheriting the value from the configuration. Cache and buffers are
configured accordingly. Thanks for the heads up though.

> why would it do that? It is entirely under our control when and if the
> server restarts or shuts down. I agree with the reasoning, I just
> don't see the scenario. Power outage would be the worst case scenario.
> And if that actually happened mid-transaction, we have nightly backups
> that would be good enough.
>
>     Forced Writes = ON is HIGHLY recommended in all production use-cases.
>
> I realize that. The worst case scenario is acceptable to the client
> though.
>
> <SL> You must be in a unique environment.

nope. It's just that it is a very unlikely scenario and if this actually
happens, losing just a days work is an acceptable risk. I'm not saying
that this wouldn't be bad, but all of the work done can be easily
reconstructed using e-mails and other incoming data.

> <SL> My clients/users would have my skin if I told them they had to
> redo all their work at 5pm, the end of a busy work day – just because
> I wanted to save “millisecond” for each write operation (given the
> presence of a RAID controller with battery cache) by using Forced
> Writes = Off and the power went out (someone bumped a power switch).

I can see that. But in this particular scenario, we're talking 1-2
seconds per mouse-click. Depending on the operation. if you slow down
everything (!) like that, it is going to be a lot more productive for
them to get some work done every day than losing a days work around
every two years :) but generally you are right.

This is the first time we encountered a firebird database, so this is
new ground to all of us.

Lock tables seem to be empty though. That is what google told me about
the error.

I really am lost. fb_config tells me that the config directory is the
one I picked. However, firebird still uses /tmp/firebird as a temp
directory, regardless of what I set as envvar or in the config.

So I am obviously concerned that none of the settings I make do have any
effect.

How can I check out if any of that had any effect?

Andreas
  • [firebird-supp... Andreas Zeller zel...@lux-medien.com [firebird-support]
    • RE: [fire... 'Leyne, Sean' s...@broadviewsoftware.com [firebird-support]
      • Re: [... Andreas Zeller zel...@lux-medien.com [firebird-support]