From: firebird-support@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:firebird-support@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 21 June 2017 8:09 PM
To: firebird-support@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [firebird-support] FB in Azure VM?

Hi,

We're considering a move from dedicated server (at a hosting provider) to
hosting "everything" in the cloud, namely Azure.

They don't provide FB as "app as a service", so we're forced to go with a VM
where we maintain our own FB installation, which is not a problem per se, but
means we'll have to manage it more ourselves.

What experiences do you have with deploying FB in an Azure VM or similar?

If I understand MS correctly, they can provide a locally mounted
high-performance disk, but I'm not sure if they can provide mirroring, e.g.
RAID 1.

On our dedicated server we have a local RAID 1 volume (mechanical 10k or
possibly 15k rpm SCSI) for the databse, and make full nightly backups.
Forced writes off. Transaction load isn't very high, but we do need to be able
to execute long-running and "heavy" queries while at the same time a web app
makes short transactions that require short response times.

I'd like to know if you think the cloud VM approach for a FB installation is
viable, any special consideration we should be aware of, etc.

I do know that the wire protocol is not very efficient if the network latency
is high, so you don't have to mention that aspect. I.e. we're probably better
of having both FB and the apps hosted in the same cloud...

But... do you know if this is a problem if FB is in an Azure VM and the app is
hosted in an Azure App Service? Network latency ok in that scenario?

Regards,
Kjell
--

Marknadsinformation logotyp

Kjell Rilbe
Telefon: 08-761 06 55
Mobil: 0733-44 24 64

Marknadsinformation i Sverige AB
Ulvsundavägen 106C
168 67 Bromma
www.marknadsinformation.se <http://www.marknadsinformation.se>
08-514 905 90

Företagskontakt.se <http://xn--fretagskontakt-vpb.se>
Personkontakt.se <http://personkontakt.se>

------------------------------------
Posted by: Kjell Rilbe <kjell.rilbe.konto...@marknadsinformation.se>
------------------------------------

Visit http://www.firebirdsql.org and click the Documentation item on the main
(top) menu.  Try FAQ and other links from the left-side menu there.

Also search the knowledgebases at http://www.ibphoenix.com/resources/documents/

Yahoo Groups Links

  • [firebir... Kjell Rilbe kjell.ri...@marknadsinformation.se [firebird-support]
    • RE:... 'Alan McDonald' a...@meta.com.au [firebird-support]