On 15-8-2017 15:36, Kjell Rilbe kjell.ri...@marknadsinformation.se
[firebird-support] wrote:

> We're in need of a tool where we can author sequences of SQL queries
> against FB and non-DB commands like file operations etc. I'd like to
> call them "batch runs" to perform recurring tasks.
>
> Do you know of such tools or what that kind of tool would be called in
> general?
>
> We need to be able to schedule some runs. Others need to be triggered by
> e.g. the appearance of a file in a local or FTP/SFTP folder. Yet others
> need to be executed ad hoc, i.e. started manually.
>
> We also need to be able to enter conditions/checks between each step, to
> check results, e.g. reasonable number of affected records, and bail out
> or at least send a warning e-mail message to me if something goes wrong
> or looks suspicious.

Sounds like you are looking for an ETL (Extract Transform Load) tool

In the past I have used Pentaho DI (also known as Kettle)
(http://www.pentaho.com/ and http://community.pentaho.com/) for
combining data from various sources. Note that there is an open-source -
free - community-edition, but it looks like they are progressively
moving to a walled-garden for support/information (or at least, making
it harder to find); see
http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/EAI/Latest+Pentaho+Data+Integration+%28aka+Kettle%29+Documentation

for documentation

It has a variety of tools: Spoon, a GUI to design a transformation or
job, and Pan (transformations) or Kitchen (jobs) to execute them from
the command line.

However I haven't used them extensively, so I'm not sure if they are
suitable for what you want.

Mark
--
Mark Rotteveel