Thank you for that information, apparently something is askew with my
Firebug.chrome in my panel. I have this code:

const superClass = Firebug.ActivablePanel;
OAdfvPanel.prototype = extend(superClass,
{
  reattach: function (doc)
  {
    logger.trace('OAdfvPanel.reattach: %s', doc);
    try
    {

      superClass.reattach.apply(this, arguments);
      logger.info('Menu using firebug.chrome:  %s', Firebug.chrome.$
('fbAdfvTypeMenu'));
      logger.info('Menu using document:  %s', document.getElementById
('fbAdfvTypeMenu'));

Firebug.chrome.$('fbAdfvTypeMenu')
Is returning null

document.getElementById('fbAdfvTypeMenu')
Is returning my element in the XUL toolbar

The relevant portion of my XUL is this:
  <toolbox
    id="fbToolbox">
    <toolbar
      id="fbToolbar">
      <hbox
        id="fbToolbarInner"
        class="innerToolbar"
        insertbefore="fbDetachButton"
        align="center">
        <hbox
          id="fbAdfvFbButtons"
          insertafter="fbNetButtons"
          collapsed="true">
          <toolbaritem align="center">
            <label
              class="oadfv-toolbar-label"
              value="&oadfv.typelabel;"
              tooltiptext="&oadfv.typemenu.tt;" />
          </toolbaritem>
          <toolbarbutton
            id="fbAdfvTypeMenu"
            type="menu"
            role="button"
            tooltiptext="&oadfv.typemenu.tt;"
            aria-haspopup="true"
            oncommand="return Firebug.OAdfvModule.onTypeMenuCommand
(event, FirebugContext)">

any idea why the Firebug.chrome is not finding the toolbarbutton by
ID, but a plain old document.getElementById is working? Makes me
wonder if I should just use document.getElementById instead of $ in my
extension. Is it possible that I am doing something that would cause
the Firebug.chrome.$ to see the wrong document but the global document
in my panel to be the correct one (I have a lot of code in my
extension, so it is very plausible that I have a bug causing this
behavior)?