This is what I have:

My chrome.manifest:

content oracleadfv      content/
resource        oracleadfvdocs  docs/
locale  oracleadfv      en-US   locale/en-US/
skin    oracleadfv      classic/1.0     skin/
overlay chrome://firebug/content/firebugOverlay.xul
chrome://oracleadfv/content/FirebugOverlay.xul
style   chrome://firebug/content/firebugOverlay.xul
chrome://oracleadfv/skin/overlay.css

The start of my chrome://oracleadfv/content/FirebugOverlay.xul:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE oadflocal SYSTEM "chrome://oracleadfv/locale/mainPanel.dtd">
<overlay
  xmlns="http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/
there.is.only.xul">
  <script type="application/x-javascript"
    src="mainModule.js"/>
  <script type="application/x-javascript"
    src="mainPanel.js"/>
  <toolbox
    id="fbToolbox">

I went off of the Firebug blog posts when I changed my extension to
start extending firebug:
http://www.softwareishard.com/blog/firebug-tutorial/extending-firebug-hello-world-part-i/

So I should not have anything that is overlaying firefox at this
point, only firebug.

Here is some of the start of my panel:
FBL.ns(function () { with (FBL) {
if (!Firebug.OAdfvModule) { return; }

const utils = Firebug.OAdfvUtil;
const logger = Firebug.OAdfvLogger;

//
const superClass = Firebug.ActivablePanel;
const adfvext = Firebug.OAdfvModule;
const panelName = 'adfvMainPanel';
// Local STR function that adds the panel name and uses our bundle
function $LSTR(name)
{
  return $STR(panelName + '.' + name, utils.bundleName);
}
function $LSTRF(name, args)
{
  return $STRF(panelName + '.' + name, args, utils.bundleName);
}
try{
function OAdfvPanel()
{