 From: Jerry Flanders <jefland...@comcast.net>
To: Jeff Singer <jsin...@i1.net>; 'Ken Alexander' <k.alexan...@rogers.com>;
flexradio@flex-radio.biz
Sent: Sunday, February 19, 2012 12:58:40 PM
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] The new 472-479 kHz band - REAL DX

At 11:41 AM 2/19/2012, Jeff Singer wrote:
>Ken, I was likewise surprised by your statement about successfully using the
>Flex-1500 to receive 600 meter ham beacons.  I've read Flex discussion
>boards for several years. To the very limited degree that users comment on
>the lowfer receive performance of Flex radios, posts have always suggested
>the 3000 and 5000 are worthless below the BCB (and perhaps not great even on
>the AM BCB).  I wonder what's so different about the 1500 in that regard.

Flex has similar frequency coverage specs for all radios, but
mentions that additional preselectors or filters are required below
1.8 MHz, even for the 1500. I remember reading that the 5000 has a
superior set of filters, so it may appear "deader" below 1.8 MHz than
the other radios.

http://www.flexradio.com/Products.aspx?topic=SDR_Feature_Matrix#notes

Seems to me this is an opportunity for a third party
kitter/manufacturer to supply an outboard preamp+filter product.

Jerry W4UK