Title: Instream base64 svg jpeg produces huge pdf document.

I am trying to produce a pdf document which contains a jpeg image that has been generated using svg with base64 data.  The approach does work, however the final pdf document is huge!  An essentially empty document with a single 40Kb jpeg image produces a 1Mb pdf document.  Is this behaviour normal?

This is the only time I'm using svg.  My xsl-fo does'nt include any svg text.

Below is an extract of my fop.  Am I doing something wrong?

<fo:instream-foreign-object content-type="content-type:image/jpeg">

  <svg:svg height="176mm" width="277mm">

    <svg:image width="277mm" height="176mm" x="0" y="0" xlink:href="" /9j/4AAQSkZJRgABAQAAAQABAAD/2wBDAAoHBwgHBgoICAgLCgoL . . . ." />

  </svg:svg>

</fo:instream-foreign-object>

This project involved accessing image data which is only available from the session.  I tried writing a servlet, but was unable to see the correct session from within the servlet.

Can anyone help me?  I'd hate to abandon fop and produce nasty html reports after getting this far!