On Mon, 19 Apr 2021, Karoly Balogh via fpc-pascal wrote:

Hi,

On Mon, 19 Apr 2021, Michael Van Canneyt via fpc-pascal wrote:

> The main remaining problem is our hard-wrapped readme and whatsnew files
> that look terrible in its installer (because it also performs wrapping
> and it uses a proportional font, so many hard-wrapped lines get wrapped
> again). So at least the changed/new parts need manual unwrapping every time.
>
> For Mac OS X/PowerPC there is the additional issue that the tool to
> create installer packages that work on Mac OS X 10.4 no longer works
> under macOS 10.14, so they have to be created on an older Mac OS X
> version (I don't know when it broke exactly).

Manual work and requiring an old OS are a problem if you want to automate.

From what you say, both problems are related to the tool you use.
Are there no other tools that can be used ?

Well, if we're talking about automation, I'm sure some VM can be set up,
and then it almost doesn't matter which version of macOS it is, until it
works.

In my experience, MacOS is not well-behaved in VMs, but admittedly it's been
a while since I last tried.

But that does not solve the manual formatting.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for automating as much as possible, but if a
tool requires an old macos, and manually formatting files, my first reaction
is to look for another tool.