On Sep 12, 2006, at 4:28 PM, Chuck Swiger wrote:

On Sep 12, 2006, at 1:08 PM, Bill Moran wrote:
Is there some way to get the FreeBSD system to log machines using
port 25 without interfering with the FreeBSD machine's filtering of
email function?  Or at least make the traffic visible to sniffing
with tcpdump or wireshark or ethereal?

Off the top of my head ...
ipfw add 25 log tcp from any to any 25
should work.  There are certain kernel configs you have to have in
place for logging to work, though.

Better to use something like:

        ipfw add 1 log tcp from any to me 25 setup

If Bart would like to use tcpdump for the same purpose, consider running something like:

        tcpdump -nt 'port 25 and (tcp[tcpflags] & tcp-syn != 0)'

Maybe my ipfw is old; it kept telling me that "log" is an invalid action. However, I think I may be able to get the tcpdump idea to work.

Thanks!