On Sunday 17 February 2008 21:51, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> > Boot install CD and choose Fixit
>
> get live CD, it's better for this.

To be honest, if I'm not using an install CD (which will do the job) I may as
well look at making a custom recovery disk which just needs to be booted -
but see below.

> > fdisk -BI
> > extract saved disklabel from tape and install with bsdlabel
> > Initialise filesystems using stored output of dumpfs -m (from tape)
> > Restore filesystems from tape
>
> good you have such i plan. this is rare case today;)
>
> > I'm tripping up on the first step, which although it appears to create
> > the
>
> you forgot to bsdlabel -B ad0a (or da0s1a whatever you have) after restore

Well spotted. I did say I hadn't tested this bit yet!

> > slice, throws a ``Geom not found'' message - which is potentially
> > worrying to someone blindly following a recovery script.
>
> no idea, i don't use slices (just disklabel)
>
> maybe kernel module not loaded?
>
> is slice actually created?

Yes.

> as far as i remember i've got this message with bsdlabel -B, but i ignored
> it as everything worked fine.

I'd still rather there wasn't an ``error'' message at all unless there's a
genuine error: I'm planning for the case of an operator with limited skills
doing a ``monkey see, monkey do'' restore (not trying to be rude, but
experienced FreeBSD admins seem to be hard to come by here and I'd rather
insult someone's intelligence than give them instructions which don't make
sense without years of FreeBSD experience).

Jonathan