I have a Gigabyte motherboard with an Intel ICH-9 chipset, and a 3.0GHz Core 2 Duo (E8400). The coretemp sysctls seem to always show 50C as the baseline temperature:

$ sysctl dev.cpu | grep temp
dev.cpu.0.temperature: 50
dev.cpu.1.temperature: 50

This is with a big PSU fan, a good CPU fan, a clean heatsink, and two case fans aimed the right direction (front fan pulling cool air in, rear fan pushing warm air out). If I reboot and go into the BIOS, I get numbers around 42-43C. I know it's kind of hard to compare directly, but the coretemp numbers are from a totally idle system with powerd scaling it back to 373MHz, so it should be as cool as when sitting idle in the BIOS screens. When I work the system hard, like running "make -j4 buildworld", I see temperatures up around 63-64C, and I'm almost positive that's not right.

Any ideas why coretemp and the BIOS would show such different numbers?
--
Kirk Strauser