-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Eitan Adler
Sent: Monday, November 03, 2008 12:14 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ORG
Subject: Re: XFCE4

Thank you for your random guess, but research of the ports system seem to
indicate a whole suite of ports are needed to build a complete working
environment.
Waiting for a real user to fill in the details of what combination of ports
they used to build their XFCE4 desktop.

It is not really a random guess, x11-wm/xfce4 is the metaport you need to build for a working XFCE4 environment. There are a couple of additional tools you may also wish to use in this environment. I would recommend graphics/ristretto for a lightweight image viewer, sysutils/thunar-volman-plugin to handle mounting of external media, sysutils/xfce4-battery-plugin if running on a laptop.

Also, make sure to read:

Section 5.7.4:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11-wm.html

For usb mounting:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/usb-disks.html

For policy kit / hal settings:

http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/halfaq.html

and when compiling Thunar (the file manager) make sure to select FAM support from the options dialog.