On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 15:45:28 +0800, "joeb" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> How do I get back to the xorg/xfce desktop running in the virtual console I
> left from?

You could try to press the Pause / SysRq key as many times as needed
until you're on your X screen again.

Have a look into /etc/ttys where the correct terminal should be
specified, e. g.

ttyv8   "/usr/local/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm           off     secure
   ^^
So X will be on ttyv8 which is number 9 (Alt+PF9).

May I ask how you initiate your X (XFCE) session? This could give
a hint why console switching doesn't work as intended.

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0