On 11/5/10 12:22 AM, kline wrote:

i''m using evo to be able to click on.  i have fewer ``Fail'' type
has been 9.5 years since I read DNS AND BIND, the jargon  is lost.  What
does "glue" means? and how should I resolve?

It is time to  get this stuff arrow-straight, so hoping that someone
on-list can clue me in.

tx,

gary

http://www.dnscog.com/report/thought.org/1288928790
If your parents, the nameservers authoritative for .org, tell the world that one of the nameservers for thought.org is ns1.thought.org, they also have to tell the world what the IP address for ns1.thought.org is using an A record. That A record is glue. Otherwise you get a machine conversation something like:

Resolving nameserver trying to find a record in the thought.org zone (RN): Please Mr. root server, I'd like to know about www.thought.org....
Root:  See the .org folks over there....
RN:  Please Mr. top-level dude, about that www.thought.org....
Org: Well, see ns1.thought.org....
RN: Ahem, I'm trying to find out basic stuff about thought.org and I don't know the address for ns1.thought.org in order to ask it
Org:  Well, ask ns1.thought.org what the address for ns1.thought.org is...
RN:  But, but, but....followed by petulant stomping off

Glue A records fix that problem.

BTW, the fact that a glue record isn't returned for ns2.everydns.net in response to a query about NS records for thought.org really isn't a problem; note the "info" rather than "fail" from DNSCog.

Biggest problem I still see is that ns2.everydns.net refuses to respond to queries about thought.org. You sure your account there is still active and functional and that you're allowing zone transfers to them? I note that you don't allow transfers from arbitrary addresses, and http://www.everydns.com/faq/secondary-domain/example-setup does warn that the source address for transfer requests was/will/did change.

Some of the problems reported by DNSCog appear to be bogus. They've got some bugs related to cases where a nameserver has a name in the domain in question. (And also some bugs related to nameservers which are reachable by both ipv4 and ipv6, but that doesn't apply to you.)

--

--Jon Radel
j...@radel.com