It's pretty general question, but is it typically standard procedure for a
utility building using the GNU tool chain to be able to install itself into
/usr/local/bin? E.g. "# gmake install" ?? Is there anything a newb can check
for without having to fully understand the complete build procedure (and not
destroy my system in the process)?

The mdbtools port is based on the last official release of the project - v0.5
in 2003. I've compiled the current head of the project from github in a
personal directory and tests have passed (I'm using a php app with mdb-export
to copy data from a Jet4 database to MySQL). Now I'd like to put the
executables in /usr/local/bin for shared access (in place of the utilities
installed by the mdbtools-0.5 port). The project builds using the GNU tool
chain without any customizations (using config and gmake). I'd prefer to do
this properly with a port, but until the project has had an official release
and I've learned how to create a port, are there any shortcuts? I naively tried
copying what I thought were the executables, and then discovered they were
shell scripts that only ran from the build directory. Huh?

Could it be as simple as "# gmake install" (and that not be a horribly stupid
thing to try)?

Thanks,
Dale