+++ david coder [23/08/12 12:26 -0400]:
+++ Jamie Paul Griffin [23/08/12 07:54 +0100]:
[ Polytropon wrote on Thu 23.Aug'12 at  2:00:15 +0200 ]

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 19:43:55 -0400, david coder wrote:
> thx, i hadn't seen the reply to my earlier message.
> > unfortunately, though i've got the png port installed w/ > > OPTIONS= APNG "Animated PNG support" On

That should be the default. Anyway, you can always check which
options had been in use when building and installing a port:

        % cat /var/db/ports/png/options
        # This file is auto-generated by 'make config'.
        # No user-servicable parts inside!
        # Options for png-1.4.8
        _OPTIONS_READ=png-1.4.8
        WITH_APNG=true

In this example you can see that it has been properly installed.

> the install of freebsd fails w/ the error message given below.

Sadly the Firefox build error message is not included.

> is there something else required in the png makefile or elsewhere that i'm
> missing?

I'm sure this entry of /usr/ports/UPDATING applies:

20120531:
  AFFECTS: users of graphics/png
  AUTHOR: din...@freebsd.org

  The PNG library has been updated to version 1.5.10.  Please rebuild all
  ports that depend on it.

I built Firefox 14 a couple of days ago and png installed is now version
1.5.12. So an updated ports tree should incorporate that change now shouldn't
it.

true, but from what i have been able to sniff out on my own, ports
configuration data are stored in /usr/local/include, not anywhere in the ports
tree, so that if png has been installed already & you do a "make showconfig"
in /usr/ports/graphics/png, the data are read from files in /usr/local/include,
& if you run "make config" in /usr/ports/graphics/png, the files affected by
any change are in /usr/local/include, not anywhere in the ports tree.

this has been a learning experience for me & prolly will continue to be as
others here correct me.

david coder

it's happened already:  in another post here, polytropon gives a more central
role to /var/db/ports/png/options.  if i understand him correctly, "make
showconfig" executed in /usr/ports/graphics/png reads from that file.
changes made through "make config" change both that file & files in
/usr/local/include & subdirectories thereof.

please correct me if i'm wrong.

david coder