On Tue, 8 Oct 2013, Andy Zammy wrote:

Hi,

I used the second section of the handbook (20.4) to create a gmirror. In my
particular setup I had a 1GB /, 6GB swap, 1GB /tmp and the rest of the 1TB
drive was left for /usr

I had to deviate from the handbook when it came to running the dump +
restore commands, as the dump failed due to an issue with the journalling.
To get around this problem, I dropped into single user mode, so I could
remount root as read-only. The dump commands then worked. It specified in
the handbook to restart the machine, and boot from ada1.

It was at this point that I noticed something wasn't quite right. There was
a spew of 'not found/no such file or directory' messages. These were all
trying to reference libs and binaries that live in /usr.

I boot into single user mode, and upon checking the other partitions, I
notice that /tmp and /usr are empty, apart from a .snap file, and the
restoresymtable file.

Please could someone help me troubleshoot this problem? Let me know if you
need any more info, and I'll post it up asap.

dump does not work reliably on filesystems with SUJ enabled. Turn off SUJ on the filesystems to be dumped by booting in single-user mode and running
  tunefs -j disable /dev/ada0whatever

Do each filesystem, then use dump.