On Tue, 8 Oct 2013, Andy Zammy wrote:

# gpart show ada0s1
gpart: No such geom: ada0s1

By the way, this is after a restart of the machine.

There's nothing to back up, I'm installing a fresh os, so I just install on one
drive, plug the other in, and start following the handbook instructions for
this method. So the only
thing in loader.conf is geom_mirror_load="YES".

I'll rephrase the question: given that the handbook originally wanted me to
dump from ada0s1 to the mounted mirror/gm0s1 (which was ada1 at the time), and
I cannot do this, would it be
enough to dump from mirror/gm0s1 (which is what ada0 is now mounted as), to
ada1s1 (even though this *should* be the other way around, it's equivalent as
far as i can see, isn't it?)?

There is not much point in dumping from the mirror to another drive. The dump/restore is how the single drive is copied to the mirror.

On a fresh install, use the Shell mode of the installer to set up the mirror, then install directly to it. There are some instructions on mountpoints in the bsdinstall man page. This will avoid the lag of waiting for the second drive to sync.