Hi,

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 6:17 PM, Karen Lewellen
<klewel...@shellworld.net> wrote:

> all the talk about the site motivated me to take a quick look.
> why does the line
> "unlike the old ms dos freedos lets you access fat 32 file systems"
> appear?
> fat 32 file systems existed in ms dos about 1997 or so.
> I have fat 32 partitions on my ms dos system in fact, and there is no
> windows on my computer whatsoever.
> While there are likely many things freedos can do, networking for
> example?, the fat 32 one as distinguishing it from ms dos is false
> information and should be removed.
> Honestly even stating that freedos is sill under development unlike ms
> dos is distinction enough, and correct.

MS-DOS 6.22 didn't support FAT32 out of the box (or really at all).
And that was the last truly stand-alone version of MS-DOS.

Yes, Win95 OSR (or whatever) introduced FAT32 later on, but it wasn't
in DOS per se, hence most people with older copies couldn't use the
better file system. FAT16 can be really wasteful on big hard drives,
from cluster slack alone, not to mention the inherent limit on overall
partition size. So FAT32 is a big deal and wasn't always available in
FreeDOS either, at least not in 1994.   ;-)