At 01:29 PM 9/18/2012, Rugxulo wrote:
>(I hate legalese, so I dislike bringing this up, but ...)
>
>Again, this was purely marketing, not technical, as MS wanted to
>exclusively bundle their DOS with Windows. With (very creaky) shims,
>DR-DOS was said to be able to boot Win95 (and proved such in court),

Where and when was that? This lawsuit was never brought to trial in
the first place...
If there were indeed technical reasons or not, Windows 9x/ME used the
DOS it was started from just for the bootstrap process as well as in
the command prompt window once booted. No other part of the OS is
otherwise using any of the "underlying" DOS, it is all handled by the
Win32 system. So Windows 9x/ME is in fact an OS in it's own right,
just like Netware is/was an OS in it's own right, regardless of it
being booted from DOS in the initial phase as well...

>Caldera / Lineo / DeviceLogics / DR-DOS Inc. were the ones selling
>7.03 (finalized circa late 1998, early 1999), which I bought online
>some years ago. Indeed, it lacked any "kernel" functionality regarding
>LFNs or FAT32, hence you were limited to 8 GB (four primary FAT16
>partitions of 2 GB each). And BTW, IIRC that would be 16 kb clusters,
>which is incredibly wasteful, blech.

Well, 2GB partitions would require 32KB cluster size... (65524 x 32KB
= 2096768KB = approx. 2GB)

But certainly does no officially released DR-DOS/Novell
DOS/OpenDOS/Caldera DR-DOS does support FAT32.

As mentioned, this is only possible by using the driver/patch/release of the "

The DR-DOS/OpenDOS Enhancement Project

"
(http://www.drdosprojects.de/) and that in turn is subject to the
license agreement of the original (not so) OpenDOS 7.01 sources...

Ralf