There hasn't been much discussion of running dos in a virtual machine. I know it depends on why you want to run dos at all but a vm is an option that avoids the bios/uefi issues and the need for extra hardware.

FreeDOS on VMWare Player | Agnoiologist <http://www.agnoiology.com/2010/10/11/freedos-on-vmware-player/#:~:text=FreeDOS%20on%20VMWare%20Player%201%20Step%201%29%20Download,6%29%20Continue%20through%20the%20FreeDOS%20install%2C%20selecting%20defaults.>

Installing DOS 6.22 in VMware Player <https://grantwinney.com/installing-dos-6-22-in-vmware-player/>

Installing DOS 6.22 in a VM « Virtualised Reality <https://virtualisedreality.com/2009/08/03/installing-dos-6-22-in-a-vm/#:~:text=Here%20is%20what%20I%20did%3A%201%201.%20Download,5%205.%20Startup%20the%20VM.%20...%20More%20items>