My heart monitor is an old Polar Sport Tester 4000.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1393035/Polar-Electro-Sport-Testert.html

Its interface box has an RS2323 socket.

I had been downloading data to an old PC with a serial port. That PC runs FreeDOS. VER/R reports "DOS version 7.10".

My Ubuntu PC does not have a serial port.

But I have a Belkin F5U409 USB-serial adaptor. My Linux kernel is 5.19.0-50-generic.

{The device is supported by kernel versions 2.6.0 and newer according to the LKDDb:

Ver     Source  Config  By ID   By Class
2.6.0 - 6.3 drivers/usb/serial/mct_u232.c CONFIG_USB CONFIG_USB_SERIAL CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_MCT_U232 050d:0109 *}

https://linux-hardware.org/?id=usb:050d-0109

That adaptor's LNK LED is on (green).

The Ubuntu PC has DOSBox v0.74-3. It runs the POLAR software OK. That can set serial port to COM1 or COM2.

DOSBox Wiki says this.

{Configuration:SerialPort
Jump to navigation
Jump to search

serialX = device [parameter:value]

    device can be: dummy | modem | nullmodem | directserial
    parameter is: irq
    value is:

        for directserial: realport (required), rxdelay (optional).
        for modem: listenport (optional).
for nullmodem: server, rxdelay, txdelay, telnet, usedtr, transparent, port, inhsocket (all optional).

    Defaults:
    serial1=dummy
    serial2=dummy
    serial3=disabled
    serial4=disabled

    An example of how to configure an actual serial port for I/O use:

serial1=directserial realport:com1}

So in DOSBox, I enter that last line.

Then I launch the POLAR software.
And I check its default serial port:
        "THE SELECTED SERIAL PORT FOR HR INPUT IS: COM1".

Then I instruct the heart monitor to transmit data. And the adapter's RX LED illuminates red. But the POLAR software fails to detect data!

Please advise.
--
members.iinet.net.au/~kilgallin/