zerofive, you did not provide us actual error messages.  We can only
speculate.

At least with curl on Linux, you can bypass cert checks with “-k”.  If you
still believe it’s certs and you have a known good certificate and private
key, you pass them as “--cert” and “--key”, respectively.  wget has similar
arguments as well.