Hello everyone,

I recently hit a problem regarding Sound Blaster 16 card and its emulation using QEMU. In short, if 'sb16' device was specified, DOOM always hung at the moment the sound was about to be initialized. If not, everything worked properly, but without sound. I checked all the info regarding configuration on the wiki, also the youtube video [1] and relevant mailing lists mentioning the same [2] or similar [3] problems.

At the end, I found out there is a simple solution for this problem by specification of audiodev backend driver.

Working audio configuration:

    -device sb16,audiodev=snd \
    -device adlib,audiodev=snd \
    -machine pcspk-audiodev=snd \
    -audiodev pipewire,id=snd \

Problematic audio configuration:

    -device sb16 \
    -device adlib \

I am on Fedora 40 and qemu version I am using is qemu-8.2.2-1.fc40. Please, replace pipewire with the backend you actually use (alsa, pa, etc). And sure, proper setting of BLASTER variable is still expected.

I'd like to share this here as I noticed there was no clear resolution of these problems in the past. Maybe someone can find it useful :) Also I was thinking about adding a note regarding this (plus few other things I hit in the past) into wiki. What do you think about it, please?

Best regards,
Lukas

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXSyn_6WB04&t=16s
2. https://sourceforge.net/p/freedos/mailman/message/37302450/