Since there was a discussion here recently on multitasking with dos, I'd like to mention that the github versions of ms-dos has a directory called v4.0-ozzie

That directory has some interesting stuff in it, one of them is a couple of dissk images (I need to move them to a linux machine and see if they'll mount, I don't have anything on windows that can identify them), but they also have some documentation (in pdf format) about how their session manager works, and how to make dos applications multitask.  The session manager program is present as well, so folks could probably mess around with that to see how well (or not) it works.  It might be something worth experimenting with for those who actually want multiple dos programs running.

I'm highly disappointed I lost my dos machines when we moved about 2.5 years ago, I'd have had a lot of fun playing with this.

Also, interestingly enough, just for reference, all of the ms-dos source code has been released under a MIT license.  I find that particularly interesting.  Apparently, Microsoft was serious when they said they're releasing the code for experimenting, and to see how early operating systems worked.