>> Please describe your setup carefully before jumping to quick
>> solutions.
>
> The problem occurred on an Arch GNU/Linux, and the '/bin/sh
> --version' is GNU Bash 5.2.26 and I installed FreeType 2.11.0. After
> checking the Git repository and noticing that my particular problem
> occurred there also, I linked the Git repository instead of the
> details of the tarball I downloaded. But you are right, I should
> have given more details on the circumstances; sorry about that.

But you still doesn't show us an *exact* recipe or log files that
demonstrates the problem you encounter.  It's always hard to discuss
things on such a theoretical level without have an example to test.

Your suggested fix of doing

```
CFG=$CFG SHELL=$SHELL $MAKE setup unix
```

(if I understand you correctly) in the top-level `configure` script is
trivial, and I'm certainly not opposed to apply that.  However, we
would like to really understand the big picture.

    Werner