Has everyone on this list read the PCI DSS requirements?
They are freely available, at www.pcisecuritystandards.org.

Were you even following the thread? There's been at least 4 times were
different people cited different parts of the standard.
But I would suppose that there's always the possibility of someone imagining
the standard, who knows!

AV is about 4 requirements out of over 230 requirements

Actually, it's the 5th out of 12...
https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/security_standards/pci_dss.shtml

Many views in this thread sound like drowning people who reject a lifeboat
because it doesn't match their eye colour.

And I take it the lifeboat matched your eye-colour?
By your comparison, it doesn't match my eye colour and neither the amount of
holes in the lifeboat as I would deem "safe".
Sure, some people would evacuate on a handkerchief if it means less money
more compliance.

I don't think you grasped the point either, so I won't argue with the rest
of your message.