On Tue, Apr 2, 2024 at 7:35 PM Paul Koning via Gdb <g...@sourceware.org> wrote:
> [...]
>
> I agree that GDB, and for that matter other projects with significant numbers
> of contributors, are not nearly as likely to be vulnerable to this sort of
> attack.  But I worry that xz may not be the only project that's small enough
> to be vulnerable, and be security-relevant in not so obvious ways.

This cuts a lot deeper than folks think. Here are two other examples
off the top of my head...

Other vulnerable projects include ncurses and libnettle. Ncurses is
run by Thomas Dickey (https://invisible-island.net/). libnettle is run
by Niels Möller (https://www.lysator.liu.se/~nisse/nettle/). Both are
one-man shows with no continuity plans. Dickey does not even run a
public version control system. You have to download his release
tarballs, and there's no history to review or make pull requests
against. If DIckey or Möller got hit by a bus crossing the street,
there would be problems for years.

Jeff