As a member of the DC Chapter who does not live in DC, I would suggest allowing proxy voting to encourage broader participation.

Ryan Kaldari

On 10/10/11 6:39 AM, Tiffany Smith wrote:
Hi all,
I'm on the DC Chapter Board with Katie. Thanks for giving us an opportunity to discuss this.

To Joanna's and others' questions (particularly in the DC area, but anyone's welcome!): one of the best ways to help out would be to join the Chapter, participate in events, and help us find ways to include more diverse voices in Wikipedia and other Wiki projects. Most importantly, consider running for a leadership position in the future - our chapter needs leaders who care about these issues and actively look for opportunities to address them and advocate for improvement.

More generally, Wikimedia DC looks forward to helping increase female participation. Indeed, two members of the Board are women, all of our Board members recognize the importance of these issues, and we continue to invite in more women to Wiki projects through the multiple outreach projects we are hosting in our community.

Please feel free to reach out to any of us directly...especially if you want to get involved!

Best,
Tiffany