On 6 May 2012 17:16, Laura Hale <la...@fanhistory.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 7:03 AM, Kevin Gorman <kgor...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all -
>>

>> Given this, I'm going to change how the moderation of this list is
>> handled a little bit moving forward.  Previously, there has been no
>> hands-on moderation of this list.  From now on, there will potentially
>> be some.  It won't be draconian - and really, I hope it'll never be
>> used at all - but I think it's important to guarantee that the
>> atmosphere of this list remains friendly, and I wanted to announce how
>> I will be approaching it.
>>

> This really makes this place safe.  Thank you very much.  We've done an
> excellent job resolving the leadership gendergap on WMF with male +1,
> female +0.
>
> Honestly though, I can tell you that while I am glad for a moderator,
> having a male come in and tell me they will be making this a safe place,
> given the historical problems of men making this feel UNSAFE on this list
> and the increase in male participation, this makes me uncomfortable and
> more like this will be an even more unsafe space. :( The first thing you,
> as a male who knows there are issues with women who feel unsafe
> participating in this list because of those problems, is make a declaration
> of firm male leadership and less tolerance of this type of behavior.  It
> feels like a major disconnect, where the end result is women will feel MORE
> silenced lest they offend you.
>
> --

Wow, Laura.  That's possibly the meanest and most sexist post I've seen on
this list in a very long time.  Kevin isn't the only moderator; Sarah
Stierch and Sue Gardner are also mods.

I do admit that I've not seen any posts recently that I thought should have
been moderated.  Kevin, are you trying to address a specific concern that
was identified to you and the other moderators?  Have you discussed your
proposed actions with the other moderators, so that you are all acting in
concert?

Risker/Anne