Actually you would be surprised at the nature of some of the renaming
debates on Wikipedia in the area of artists like the one you mention,
but also artists from the 17th-century. One could probably write a
funny book about renaming debates on Wikipedia. I do think the Shirley
Temple article should be named Shirley Temple for the notability
issue. In the second screen effect, during a Shirley Temple movie,
people will google Shirley Temple and not Shirley Temple Black.
Personal notability has also everything to do with how biographical
enterprises (companies named after their founder) are categorized on
Wikipedia - as people or as organizations.

In the case of a gender-change, it can just be downright confusing for
readers who google a person based on a TV show or other media article
in which the new gender is not even mentioned, while the lead suddenly
uses an unexpected name and pronoun. Wikipedia has of course the
"redirect" facility to take care of this. Over time redirect-pagename
debates go back and forth regularly for controversial articles, and
this will be no exception in the Manning case, I am sure.

My point has to do with the way Wikipedia approaches such
controversial topics as they unfold, and the effect of getting
involved in such debates on the editors themselves. My advice is to
step back. An encyclopedia with lots of content still based on the
original 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica articles first added before
2005, does not need to be a media leader in producing up-to-the-minute
100% accurate information. I think Wikipedia does a good job in
publishing easy-to-read information based on reliable sources.