DYK is pretty dysfunctional behind the scenes so I don't think there's any
hope of changing DYK processes to address this issue.  What can be done is
to encourage individual WikiProjects addressing the gender gap to include
submitting new and improved articles to DYK as a part of their regular
process of article improvement.   It's very easy to get a good article onto
DYK once it is submitted there.