Glad you're raising this issue, Rosie, and thinking about a grant-funded
project to address it seems like a smart plan! Testing new ways for making
engagement with DYK a more regular part of any workshops or other times
where women's biographies are being worked on makes sense to me. My 1 and
only DYK was for a woman's bio, but at the time I didn't know anything
about the process (wouldn't have occurred to me it was something that a
noob working on a short article could be part of). If someone else hadn't
nominated, it wouldn't have happened.

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 8:24 PM, Rosiestep Wiki <rosiestep.w...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I've noticed this for years -- fewer women's biographies vs. men's in an
> average week at the DYK section of the main page. Maybe I've noticed this
> because I'm a highly prolific contributor to DYK. But I've wondered how
> many reader eyeballs land on the main page and notice the same thing?
>
> Some statistics here:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Recent_additions
>
> Annually, there's a preponderance of women's biographies in March (Women's
> History Month). And during the rest of the year, there's the occasional set
> (6-7 "hooks") or occasional day (2-3 sets) where the majority of the
> biographies are regarding women. But it's an uncommon occurrence over the
> course of a week. The reason seems simple:  fewer women's biographies are
> being nominated by editors, so fewer are promoted, and fewer appear at DYK.
> It almost goes without saying that fewer women's biographies are
> created/expanded compared to men's but it's actually important to address
> this, as IMO, it's the crux of the problem. I am not suggesting and would
> not support setting limits on the number of men's biographies which appear
> at DYK. Instead, I'd like to believe that issue/problem recognition is the
> first step before we brainstorm some objectives, develop workplans (i.e.
> monthly edit-a-thons anyone?), and measure outcomes.
>
> I'm considering creating a proposal and applying for a grant to work on
> this "percentage issue". Feedback?
>
> -Rosie
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Rosiestep

Siko Bouterse