It is my perspective that working through the processes on Wikipedia are
too democratic for most academics. It is easier to get a  grant and become
the defacto expert  than to be part of the conversation. What I went
through last week trying to get support for the South African novel,
October, by Zoe Wicomb is a lot more than most professors could bear.

But it seems to me that the group process, while more inclusive, can be
obscured when experts study us. I have found this to happen to many grass
roots efforts when studied. (labor union actions, migrant worker
initiartves, etc.)

--Kathleen

Kathleen de la Peña McCook
Distinguished University Professor of Librarianship
USF/SI: http://si.usf.edu/faculty/kmccook/
Academia.edu: https://usf.academia.edu/KathleendelaPe%C3%B1aMcCook
Library Thing:: http://www.librarything.com/catalog/klmccook/allcollections

========

Zandt argues that Wikipedia is biased because the majority of its editors
are “young, white, child-free men.”

“There’s nothing inherently wrong with a young, white, child-free man’s
perspective, of course—it’s just that there are tons of other perspectives
in the world that should influence how a story gets told,” Zandt wrote
<http://www.forbes.com/sites/deannazandt/2013/04/26/yes-wikipedia-is-sexist-thats-why-it-needs-you/>
in
an editorial for *Forbes* last year, entitled, “Yes, Wikipedia Is
Sexist—That’s Why It Needs You.”