Good points below.

Also, on the academic side I can see it is academics looking for grants. On the govt side, I have to wonder. After all, in Wikipedia people will fight to get articles NPOV the govt would like to see biased, like against govt surveillance and Iran, Russia, Palestinians and for surveillance state, Ukrainian nationalists, Israel, etc. So if they can fund a few studies that make Wikipedia look bad, should they need to crack down on alternative voices, they'll have stuff to demonize Wikipedia with.

But that's the just the tiny conspiracy theorist part of my brain talking :-)

CM