On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 12:22 PM, Andreas Kolbe <jayen...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I will have to look into Hill & Shaw, but would note that the Wikimedia
> Foundation itself reported the figures from the UNU survey as they stood
> (see e.g. p. 8 of the February 2011 Strategic Plan: "According to the
> study, over 86% of contributors were male").

NB., that was before the Hill & Shaw paper was published, which was 2013 :)
Hill & Shaw is *probably* the best estimate of the gendergap we have so
far, but everyone -- including the WMF and the researchers involved --
knows that the data can be improved. And hopefully it will be, with future
editor surveys and more research!

-- phoebe