Thanks for the response Andreas. I've updated with the 8.5% source.

I'm not selling Hill as a panacea either; there are actually lots of
techniques to correct biased sampling and using another survey as a
benchmark only works well if the demographic questions are the same or
at least very closely matched. I haven't compared the Pew and UN
surveys in detail but I'm sure it could be done better (that's pretty
much how these things always go)!

One thing I didn't criticise you for yet (but will now!) is to dismiss
the claim of family status's effect on contribution based on the data
you provided.

I agree that the fact that even young women are very unrepresented
means it likely doesn't account for a large portion of the gender gap.
But your argument that the fact that the *bulk* of wikipedians are
younger people means that family status isn't an issue is particularly
erroneous, because it assumes that age demographics and family status
are independent- which they are quite clearly not. It could be, for
instance, that gender gap is smallest in the younger demographic
*because* they don't have families yet, and the proportion of women
drops with age because they drop out to have families. (Not an actual
hypothesis I'm proposing, just an example of how assuming independance
goes wrong fast.)

It's important to keep in mind that the actual reason for the gender
gap is probably a large number of very small things and no particular
one of these things likely accounts for a very large portion of the
gap- if that's the case we'll need much better statistical power to
detect them and more sophisticated analyses.

Anyway, thanks for writing this post- got us talking, and regardless
of how the actual numbers kick up it's still pretty clear there aren't
very many of us.