Hi Max,

I haven't studied these decisions, but I try to be sensitive to these
issues and am happy to provide some thoughts.

Would you ask editors to provide this information? If so, I would ask them
to self identify - as a man, as a woman, [fill in the blank], or decline to
answer. I realize that a [fill in the blank] option poses some issues, but
I believe it's the most inclusive. I strongly encourage you to avoid the
term 'other' as it is so very loaded. I would also recommend using man and
woman in place of male and female, which refer to sex and not gender.

I hope you've received helpful feedback from others and that you'll share
your paper with the list.

Best,
Megan

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 2:13 PM, Maximilian Klein <isa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm doing a project at the moment, and writing a paper, that proposes a
> Wikipedia Gender Index - like the United Nations Gender Inequality Index.
> Essentially it will show the proportion of represented (existing article in
> the Wiki, not editors) Genders over time (both historical time, and as
> Wikipedia evolves), by language edition, by occupation, and by ethnic
> group.
>
> I want to be sensitive to the many categories of non-male and non-female
> genders that exist in Wikipedia. Another balance is make the Index
> compatible with the other indexes so we can compare. Some of those other
> indexes are M/F.  So the question is: it could be M/F/Other, M/F+Other
> (Male/Non-male), M/F/All/the/other/categories. I don't say that any of
> these are correct. I'm ask if you, or you know any researchers that has
> studied these decisions and can advise.
>

> Max Klein
> ‽ http://notconfusing.com/

Megan Wacha | Research and Instruction Librarian for the Performing Arts
Barnard College | 3009 Broadway | New York, NY 10027
212.854.7652 | mwa...@barnard.edu