Hi, Sarah!

I would agree if we were only discussing the faithful reproduction of 2D
pre-1923 images (which is what I believe was the National Portrait Gallery
situation).

But the bulk of subject matter in this Dovie Horvitz collection appears to
be 3D objects (clothes to curling irons). I would have thought a modern
photo taken of a 3D object would be copyright of the photographer as they
would be deemed to have made creative choices in how to take that photo if
only in the selection of the viewpoint. I think the rule of thumb is whether
it can cast a shadow and shadows are clearly visible in the images. E.g.

http://www.library.wisc.edu/news/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2014/10/dh0600l.
jpg

The DH collection does include some printed material which could be PD
because the original material was pre-1923. But not all of the printed
material in the collection is pre-1923 (not all of the objects either).

As I say, not living in the USA, my knowledge of USA copyright law may be
imperfect, but can you point me at the exemptions that would apply in the
case of photos of pre-1923 3D objects.

Kerry

  _____