On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 7:12 PM, Jeremy Baron <jer...@tuxmachine.com> wrote:

> > See [http://mako.cc/copyrighteous/the-wikipedia-gender-gap-revisited
> Mako's study] which includes the initial numbers from before his changes. I
> thought the study results were already released by the time he did the
> study but maybe I'm wrong. Anyway at least there are numbers. But IMHO
> absolute numbers are not as important as change rates over time. (which has
> been the topic of debate among researchers not too long ago also) --~~~~
>
> -Jeremy

Well, what we got in that study was a mathematical manipulation resulting
in a convenient upwards adjustment of the 2010 UNU survey figures for
female participation (from 12.6% to 16.1%), while the gender split of the
Foundation's own 2012 survey was never published.

And since then, the WMF hasn't conducted any more editor surveys.

It's been two years: where are the figures, and where is the promised[1]
 data set[2]?

The longer this carries on, the more the matter lends itself to suspicions
that the figures were buried, because they came out even worse than the
8.5% and 9% from the two 2011 editor surveys.

There is an easy way to counter such suspicions: publish the figures.

[1]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Research:Wikipedia_Editor_Survey_2012&oldid=5354465#Results
[2] http://dumps.wikimedia.org/other/surveys/ (no sign of the 2012 data
dump there at the time of writing)