On Tue, 3 Oct 2023 at 16:34, John Gemignani <john.gemign...@bitnine.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'll just give my 2 cents on this for the Apache AGE project, from my
> perspective,...
>
> In the early stages of Apache AGE we tried to use Jira. For a while, we
> actually were using it for day to day activities. However, the constant
> spam we had to remove daily, along with also having issues coming in
> through Github, coupled with our limited resources, forced us to make a
> choice between the two of them.
>
> I also recall it taking months to get permissions just to remove the spam
> that came in. While, I understand the delays involved with an open source
> projects' infrastructure, being nearly everyone is a volunteer, all of
> these items soured us on Jira. Github was just better suited to our needs,
> integrated better, and didn't have spam.
>
> We still do have discussions about using both, btw. However, for the size
> of our team, it would cause us to spend more time on "paperwork" than on
> design, research, issues, or code.
>
> I would surmise that we aren't the only project that has had similar
> internal discussions.

AFAIK, the INCUBATOR Jira has not had a problem with spam.
It does not have GitHub issues.
The problem is not volume (there have been fewer than 300 issues in 20 years).

I suspect the AGE project suffered more than most because of its name
being near the start of any alpha listing (and maybe because it is
short).

Also JIra logins now have to be authorised by projects; spam is much reduced.