On 19/09/2023 00:40, Dale wrote:
I get it when you wanna do it your way because it always worked™ (which is
not wrong — don’t misunderstand me) and perhaps you had some bad experience
in the past. OTOH it’s a pricey component usually only needed by gamers and
number crunchers. On-board graphics are just fine for Desktop and even
(very) light gaming and they lower power draw considerably. Give it a swirl,
maybe you like it. 😄 Both Intel and AMD work just fine with the kernel
drivers.
Well, for one, I usually upgrade the video card several times before I
upgrade the mobo.  When it is built in, not a option.  I think I'm on my
third in this rig.  I also need multiple outputs, two at least.  One for
monitor and one for TV.  My little NAS box I'm currently using is a Dell
something.  The video works but it has no GUI.  At times during the boot
up process, things don't scroll up the screen.  I may be missing a
setting somewhere but when it blanks out, it comes back with a different
resolution and font size.  I figure it is blanking during the switch.
My Gentoo box doesn't do that.  I can see the screen from BIOS all the
way to when it finishes booting and the GUI comes up.  I'm one of those
who watches.  😉

Well, in my case I've only recently upgraded to a system where AGPUs are available :-)

Plus, although I haven't got it working, I want multi-seat (at present, my system won't boot with two video cards). You can run multi-head off integrated graphics, but as far as I know linux requires one video card per seat.

Oh, and to the best of my knowledge, you can combine a video card and an AGPU.

Cheers,
Wol