Am Tue, Sep 19, 2023 at 04:43:02AM -0500 schrieb Dale:
> Wols Lists wrote:

> > Oh, and to the best of my knowledge, you can combine a video card and
> > an AGPU.

BTW: it’s APU, without the G. Because it is an Accellerated Processing Unit
(i.e. a processor), not a GPU.

> I been on Newegg using their rig builder feature.  Just to get rough
> ideas, I picked a AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core 3.7 GHz Socket AM4.  Yea, I
> did a copy and paste.  lol  It's a bit pricey but compared to my current
> rig, I think it will run circles around it.  My current rig has a AMD FX
> -8350 Eight-Core Processor running at 4GHz or so.  You think I'll see
> some speed improvement or am I on the wrong track?

Twice the single-thread performance and 7 times multi-core:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+FX-8350+Eight-Core&id=1780
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Ryzen+9+5900X&id=3870
Naturally at lower power consumption as well.

> My problem is the mobo.  I need a few PCIe slots.  Most just don't have
> enough.  Most have a slot for a video card.  Then maybe 2 other slightly
> slower ones and maybe one slow one.  I can't recall what the names are
> at the moment. I know the length of the connector tends to tell what
> speed it is, tho some cheat and put long connectors but most of the
> faster pins aren't used.  That confuses things.

Well they allow you to put larger cards in, but they don’t have the lanes
for it. Somewhere else in the thread was mentioned that the number of lanes
is very limited. Only the main slot (the big one for the GPU) is directly
connected to the CPU. The rest is hooked up to the chipset which itself is
connected to the CPU either via PCIe×4 (AMD) or whatchacallit (DMI?) for
Intel.

> Anyway, mobo, which I
> will likely change, CPU and memory is already adding up to about $600.
> I don't need much of a video card tho.  The built in thing may be
> enough, as long as I can connect my monitor and TV.

The 5900X has no built-in. For the Ryzen 5000 series, only those with -G
have graphics. The 7000 ones all have a basic GPU (may except for some with
another suffix).

> If someone knows of a good mobo, Gigabyte, ASUS preferred, that has
> several PCIe slots, I'd like to know the model so I can check into it.
> It's doesn't have to be the latest thing either.  I tend to drop down
> several notches from the top to save money.  I still end up with a
> pretty nice rig and save some money.

Look for youself and filter what you need, like 1 or 2 HDMI, DP and PCIe:
AM4: https://skinflint.co.uk/?cat=mbam4&xf=18869_4%7E4400_ATX
AM5: https://skinflint.co.uk/?cat=mbam5&xf=18869_4%7E4400_ATX
Interestingly: the filter goes up to 6 PCIe slots for the former, but only to
4 for the latter.

--
Grüße | Greetings | Qapla’
Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.

Wires are either too short, not available or don’t work.