On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 4:17 AM, dpwrussell <r...@dpwrussell.com> wrote:
> I see that there is the concept of versioning for some time now in
> Gitorious, but all the installation instructions I have seen involve a
> checkout from mainline (If versioning is active I'd have expected a checkout
> of a certain version branch).

I've noticed this also, and from a package management perspective this
is not really ideal... I think the main reason people do this is that
Gitorious development happens pretty quickly, so master is now quite
different than what was tagged as v2.2.1. Various Gitorious guides out
there on the internet recommend running master because that's what
gets all the latest features and bugfixes. Gitorious AS doesn't really
do backports to stable branches. You basically have to pick whatever
tag "git describe" tells you (which is unfortunately seven months old
now) and freeze there, or else just go with the tip of master.

Speaking as a packager, even if we didn't have backports and multiple
supported branches, it would be cool if Gitorious AS cut new versions
a bit more often. If that were the case, who knows, we might get a
step closer to ending the plethora of guides on the internet that say
"clone mainline and run whatever commit you land on" :)

> I've spent ages looking, but I can't find out
> which version I'm running

To find what version you're running, look in lib/gitorious.rb

> or what the roadmap is for releases. Where is this
> information?

As for a release roadmap, I'm not sure there is an "official" one, but
there's plenty of items on the "Wishlist" and "Todo" wiki pages.

-Ken