On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 3:37 AM, Ken Dreyer <ktdre...@ktdreyer.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 4:17 AM, dpwrussell <r...@dpwrussell.com> wrote:
> > I see that there is the concept of versioning for some time now in
> > Gitorious, but all the installation instructions I have seen involve a
> > checkout from mainline (If versioning is active I'd have expected a
> checkout
> > of a certain version branch).
>
> I've noticed this also, and from a package management perspective this
> is not really ideal... I think the main reason people do this is that
> Gitorious development happens pretty quickly, so master is now quite
> different than what was tagged as v2.2.1. Various Gitorious guides out
> there on the internet recommend running master because that's what
> gets all the latest features and bugfixes. Gitorious AS doesn't really
> do backports to stable branches. You basically have to pick whatever
> tag "git describe" tells you (which is unfortunately seven months old
> now) and freeze there, or else just go with the tip of master.
>
> Speaking as a packager, even if we didn't have backports and multiple
> supported branches, it would be cool if Gitorious AS cut new versions
> a bit more often. If that were the case, who knows, we might get a
> step closer to ending the plethora of guides on the internet that say
> "clone mainline and run whatever commit you land on" :)

Sorry, we've been lazy :-(
The next scheduled minor version will introduce LDAP-backed authorization,
and should be out within a couple of week.

> I've spent ages looking, but I can't find out
> > which version I'm running
>
> To find what version you're running, look in lib/gitorious.rb

Or use the included rake task (`[bundle exec] rake versioning:changelog`),
it will list all known versions and highlight which of them you're
currently using.

> > or what the roadmap is for releases. Where is this
> > information?
>
> As for a release roadmap, I'm not sure there is an "official" one, but
> there's plenty of items on the "Wishlist" and "Todo" wiki pages.

My colleague Thomas just (re-)mentioned that we should do a roadmap this
morning, it's something we really need.

Cheers,
- Marius