Thanks Pranith/Niels,
It is a great initiative, it will help us a lot :)

On 05/30/2014 01:16 PM, Niels de Vos wrote:
On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 11:08:34PM -0400, Pranith Kumar Karampuri wrote:
hi,
     We are taking an initiative to come up with some easy bugs where
     we can help volunteers in the community to send patches for.

Goals of this initiative:
  - Each maintainer needs to come up with a list of bugs that are easy
    to fix in their components.
  - All the developers who are already active in the community to help
    the new comers by answering the questions.
  - Improve developer documentation to address FAQ
Documentation in the wiki, mainly these pages:
- http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Main_Page#Developers
- http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Developers

  - Over time make these new comers as experienced developers in
    glusterfs :-)

Maintainers,
      Could you please come up with the initial list of bugs by next
      Wednesday before community meeting?
If we mark bugs with the EasyFix keyword (see below), all bugs can get
listed with a simple Bugzilla query:
-
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&keywords=EasyFix&product=GlusterFS

Niels,
    Could you send out the guideline to mark the bugs as easy fix. Also
    the wiki link for backports.
To mark a bug as Easy to Fix, open the Bug, and add in 'EasyFix' in the
'Keywords' field. Of course, it would help any newcomer if there is
a comment on where (i.e. which source file, function) the changes are
needed. For example, https://bugzilla.redhat.com/1100204 contains
a clear description what is needed, and where.

For the stable branches (release-3.4 and release-3.5 in the git
repository), it often is needed to 'backport' a change from the current
development branch (master). Backporting is for many changes relatively
easy and we have started to document the steps here:
- http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Backport_Guidelines

The "Backport Wishlist" is a list of patches/bugs that are proposed
candidates for backporting. When a backport request has been filed,
a bug for this backport and the release-version should be created.
Depending on the change, the EasyFix keyword could be set by the person
creating the bug (or by a developer or sub-maintainer after a review).

PS: This is not just for new comers to the community but also for
existing developers to explore other components.

Please feel free to suggest and give feedback to improve this process
:-).
And, as a reminder, anyone that is interested in trying to write
a patch, do not hesitate to ask questions. If something in the
documentation is unclear, we do need to know so that we can improve it.
Furthermore, I am of the opinion that there hardly exist stupid
questions, and it's more stupid to not ask questions that others can
easily answer. Always assume that if you have a question, someone else
would like to hear the answer too :-)
Reach out to the developers in #gluster or #gluster-dev on Freenode IRC,
or on one of the mailinglists, try to keep the discussions public so
that anyone can learn from it.

Thanks,
Niels